Sunday, February 15, 2009

First thing to do in OZ? SURF.

AHHHHH! I don't know how to work blogs. These pictures are supposed to be at the end so you read and THEN check out some pictures. Plus, they are ALL out of order! Well, I don't know how to fix this problem. Oops! :) Oh well... enjoy!

Whenever I stood, I was a diva and raised my arms as if to say, "I am pro". Well... I always fell shortly after. OOPS!
Instructor Winnie was so proud :)
Intensity. Totally rad.
Our surfing team (Teamo Supremo) doing the "Baywatch" run! Bernie, "shorty", Ben, Winnie, Kim, Me, and Danny.
Instructor "Winnie" (Justin Winn) and I. I look pro. 
Danny, Kevin, Ben, me, and Bernie in front of the SurfCamp truck
Kim and I found this cutie playing with crabs. BAREFOOT. He embraced his inner "divo" for this shot. He had no fear! Also...love the helmet.
Totally "ripcurl" of me...
Our walk out to Byron Bay- Gerroa, Australia for Surf Camp!
My battle wound... I was stung by a blue bottle jelly fish! See just the little bit of red? I guess this makes me a badass?! :)
Matt (met at the airport), Jess (fellow Butler Uni student), and I trying vegamite. Verdict? Disgusting. 
Getting ready to leave home with my "Dora the Explorer" traveling companion! Thanks mama :)
The beautiful sunrise on the way from LA to Sydney.




Hello everyone!

First of all... it's been a tiring weekend and a long night so I might not make this terribly long!

Friday was a fantastic day here in Australia!!! It was raining on and off, but since it's been so hot in Australia their entire summer, all of the natives are LOVING the rain. Anywho. I went to a campus BBQ at around 1 p.m. It was at the bar on campus. Oh yesssss. There is a BAR on campus! I sat and had a couple beers with some people before trying a little taste of a traditional "Aussie barbie". No "shrimp on the barbie", but the sausage was phenomenal (that's what she said). 

Afterward, I went back to my room and packed for surf camp '09, fools!

We met at the international building on campus (only about a 5 minute walk from my place) and left around 6 p.m. for Gerroa, Australia. Gerroa is about 2 hours south of Sydney, so with rush hour into the city and RAIN (ew), it took about 3 1/2 hours. 

By the time we got there, everyone was exhausted... after sitting for hours??.... including me! Time for bed! :)

Wake up call was at 6:45, with breakfast at 7 a.m. We were already living the life of true aussie surfers! After a little cereal and nutella (yummm), it was time to throw on a full body wet suit that made in the skinniest women from Norway and Germany look at least a few months pregnant. Basically, we were all looking like rockstars. 

I wasn't so hawt at first. There were PLENTY of bellyflops into 3 feet of ocean and at least a few pounds of sand in the hair. I got the hang of it, and by early the next day I was standing up on my surfboard *almost* everytime. :) It was a blast, but it was DEFINITELY a workout. My arms are limp and I have bruises on my ribs from (un)gracefully flopping on the surfboard! At least we could laugh at ourselves! By the 3rd hour or so, we all had the surfer attitude and was just loving life, even if it was pouring rain on us. Heck... you're gonna get wet anyway!

I love you all! Time for bedtime. :)
xoxo,
Carly


6 comments:

  1. Hey Carly! So glad you had a safe, albeit (is that a word?) long, trip. Looks like you are settling in and having a great time. It will go so fast so enjoy every minute. BTW, I've heard that,if you get stung by a jellyfish, you should have someone pee on it and it won't hurt as bad. I think that it would make sense that the more people pee on it, the sooner it will feel better. Just a thought.....Stay goofy! Love you! Aunt Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly,

    We all know you cut and pasted your face on professional surfer Kelly Slater's face...j/k great job and watch out for the dingos!

    -thomas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Car, I love it! You are such a pro.
    Also, Dora? Mom is too amazing for words.
    Talk to you soon. :)
    Love, Joce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Car,
    I hope you whomped that jelly fish up side his tentacle, and taught that little biter who the boss surfer of Libertyville is! Wha Wha!
    Glad to here you are staying busy in Aussieland, despite the rain (which they probably need, but why couldn't it have rained the week BEFORE you got there, right?)
    I just got back from Orlandia, which which is Orlando, but I will put IA at the end of all town names from now on while you are in AustralIA. The show was overall good, but basically was a get up, stand for 9 hours in an exhibit booth, skip lunch, then go for a big dinner and drinks, then to bed, etc. I spent my down time in the booth thinking how I would handle the big waves (curls?) of AUS when Mom and I visit. You better be ready to "BRING IT!" jelly girl.
    Ignore Thomas...he is just trying to sound cool by quoting surfer names, like Jenna, Matt, JT, Cody and Spamela Hamderson. Not so cool when even Dad knows some names. Hang ten! Woo woo.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carly...gosh I am sooo proud of you and it looks like you are having so much fun!
    Keep writing, because it makes my day.

    Maybe you'll even come back to the states with a higher pain tolerance??? Thank you blue jelly!

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. After examining your near fatal bite, I'm sure it was from the minature one-toothed surf shark(fishito monodentalis). They usually attack earlobes.

    da2thfairy

    ReplyDelete